Monday, January 12, 2009

Finding creativity

I have yet to read the first chapter of the book "12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women", I'm still awaiting it's arrival by mail. I have managed to read a few of the responses given by others in the group and I thank you as I now feel brave enough to acknowledge my creative self. Sorry I haven't left any comments, I'm new to blogging and a little "keyboard shy". Anyhoo here it goes.
As a child, I loved art and would often draw. I would showcase my artwork on the walls of my bedroom. I was very proud of my work. I never took an art class until highschool and was thrilled when finally I could partake. It was there that I was introduced to many great artists and to my favourite medium, paint. My then boyfriend and now husband has always been very supportive of my interest in painting. He's even bought me the paints but for some reason I have yet to pick up a paintbrush. It's now been over 10 years. Ouch.
As a child, I also loved to write. This I did in secret. Mostly they were short stories of the fantastical variety. I still have the book somewhere - still hidden. As I put thought to screen about my creativity I realize I've done most of my creative thinking and feeling behind closed doors. I remember turning the volume of my clock radio real low and listening to classical music. Of what could I be afraid? There were numberous times in my youth that I would dance wildly around the house to my favourite music. I felt a terrific freedom in doing this and as usual I was always alone. Indeed, in this self study, I seem to have found a snag with regards to my creativity. Perhaps as a teenager I was worried about being judged. Today, who knows maybe I still am. One thing is clear, I acknowledge the fact that I need my creative self. In the last few years, I have become a mother of two. Kept a nine to five job. And have totally lost my identity. I have been longing for something and I hope that I am finally on the right path through this group. With so many creative people to inspire me, I feel confident that I'll be able to dig deep into the creative joys of my childhood and rediscover myself. I will be whole again.

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to the journey! And, rest assured that is it perfectly normal to be 'keyboard shy' when you are new. It took me months of lurking before I found the courage to post a comment.

    But courage comes...one tiny step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the group! I think you are in the right place at the right time-- there are all sorts of inspiring women here. May your creative self bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle- How fabulous that you're part of the group! Let us help you peak out from your shell!
    Kim
    http://kimssoulcollagecards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogging and to the 12 secrets! If you're feeling brave, do visit and comment on some of the other blogs, if the posts interest you. You might just get to know some amazing women.

    I hope that you find inspiration to paint soon. Sometimes you just need to give yourself permission to create complete rubbish...go ahead, do it. Break out the paints and make a mess, create a disaster. No expectations, just give it a try. We're all in this boat together, so LEAP. We will catch you if you fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just keep at it, that is my motto,,I still am confused about how to post comments to ger my icon to show,,one day it will click...its the little things,,so are you painting yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great that you are coming out of your creative closet. I know you will find lots of inspiration here in the blogosphere, encouraging you to be yourself. The world needs artists like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you're opening those doors now. Embracing your creative self is a wonderful route to wholeness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Michelle! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. I hope you don't get too overwhelmed with all the new stuff!

    Don't worry too much about leaving comments yet. Once you've gotten used to the water and paddled around a bit, I'm sure you'll start to feel more comfortable diving in a little deeper. The wonderful thing about this project and this blog thing is that you get to make it into anything you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I still have the book somewhere - still hidden." Somehow that line lept out, like a symbol of the tale you are showing. May you open the book and discover you are the hero of your creative adventure.

    I'm so glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle,
    I love your honesty- thank you. What struck me most strongly was "I acknowledge I need my creative self." Feels like recovering a long lost old friend.

    I've found creativity has such amazing power to pull me out of a slump and give me a kind of renewal. Becoming creative every day, for me through creative writing has made me peaceful and content. That's the payoff for expressing my creative self.

    I really look forward to hearing what unfolds for you as you access and make a safe space for your creative self.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yepper's --"I need my creative self!" Nailed it there girlfriend!
    It will always be our best friend! You go little grass hopper! I mean Spotted Salamander! Very creative blog name!! :) :) :)

    xx
    love-n-light

    ReplyDelete